The present parish church at Well is at least the third on the site. An entry in the Domesday Book of 1086 states ‘Welle – there is a church there and a priest’. This early church was superseded by a Norman building c1190 and the present church St Michael the Archangel, was begun in the early 14th century. The church is open every day for visitors to enter and browse round the church, there are many interesting items to look at, some beautiful stained glass windows and in particular the tomb of John Neville which has a large amount of 16c graffiti on it. There is also a 14c altar in the church.
The timeline above gives an overview of the history of St Michael's Church. You can scroll left and right byclicking and dragging on the image, and can zoom in and out using the + and - buttons. This is a copy of the timeline display which may be found at the west end of the church itself.